In 1976, responding to the needs of the Chinese community in Windsor, the Essex County Chinese Canadian Association was founded to promote Chinese culture and to help integrate Chinese into mainstream society. Dr. Chosen Lau was one of the founders and the first president of the association. One of the first steps of integration was the introduction of the celebration of Chinese New Year in the oriental tradition. In 1976 the first Annual New Year Banquet was held at the Cleary International Center. Dr. Edward Ng was instrumental in organizing the successful Chinese cabaret in 1980, to promote cultural exchange between the East and West.
In January 1982, the first association centre at Church St. was opened by Mayor Bert Weeks. Before that, the executive members would meet in various places – members’ homes or restaurants - to conduct the activities of the association. Subsequently, the centre moved to the Red Cross Building at 1226 Ouellette Ave. and then to the renovated building at 665 Ouellette Ave. Finally in 1990 the current facility at 1420 Tecumseh Rd. East was purchased. Besides the annual Chinese New Year Fundraising Gala, the Essex County Chinese Canadian Association also organizes the annual New Year Party for seniors as a gesture of respect.
Every year since it was established, the association has participated in the Canada Day Parade and the annual Carrousel of the Nations organized by the Multicultural Council of Windsor. The association has contributed tremendously to the promotion of Chinese culture in Windsor. The association also provides many other activities such as Chinese literature classes, mandarin classes and tai chi classes and publishes the annual Chinese Business and Professional Directory.